Island Farm Timeline

2001

An Etheridge family reunion is held at the homeplace.

2001

Restoration work begins on the Etheridge farmhouse

1999

A researcher is hired to document the timeline of the Etheridge Homeplace and family history.

1998

OBC begins the process of assessing and identifying the original portions of the farmhouse.

1997

The Etheridge Homeplace is officially donated to Outer Banks Conservationists by descendants.

1994

The Etheridge Cemetery adjoining the Etheridge Homeplace property is deeded to OBC.

1988

Etheridge descendants convince the developer, who now owns the homeplace, to sell the historic farmhouse and surrounding ½ acre to them.

1986

Etheridge Homeplace is sold to a developer who planned to build a large condominium project. This is the first time that the homeplace was owned by someone other than an Etheridge in more than a century.

1880

Richard Etheridge, son of John B. Etheridge and brother of Adam Etheridge IV, becomes the keeper of the first all African-American life-saving station.

1868

Adam Etheridge IV dies.