Lighthouse Timeline

Present

Beach Lighthouse and its Keepers in 1893

The Currituck Beach Lighthouse remains open to the public 7 days per week during the season, which runs mid-March – December. Outer Banks Conservationists, Inc. continues to maintain and complete all preservation work on the tower, and all structures within the Lighthouse compound.

October 17, 2003

The deed for Currituck Beach Lighthouse is transferred to Outer Banks Conservationists by the Department of the Interior.

October, 1993

The storehouse, which was moved down the road into Corolla Village around 1960, returns to the Currituck Beach Lighthouse site. Today, it is used as an administrative office.

1980 – 2002

Extensive repairs and renovations begin on the Currituck Beach Lighthouse Keepers’ Dwelling and tower. For work on the tower, Outer Banks Conservationists hired International Chimney Corporation beginning in 1990. Major tasks include: lead paint removal, masonry repair, iron repair, rust removal, re-painting, window replacement, iron casting, welding, and much more.

October, 1973

The Currituck Beach Lighthouse is entered into the National Register of Historic Places.